Forums » BSG News

New BSG Book

• 4 posts
    May 7, 2013 7:54 PM EDT

Hey all.

I posted this as a blog-post but I will post here so it is easer to find.

I just bought and am about halfway through a new book: Battlestar Galactica and International Relations.  Fascinating and deep.  If you have not seen the BSG at the UN video - I recommend.

The book is or uses BSG as a case study for issues of world politics.

BSG is till one of the best shows ever produced. I am amazed at the investment in character and in story BSG instilled in me. I am also amazed at how a little science fiction remake (or re-imagining) opened the eyes and minds of fans of the genre and many new converts to epic human drama set in a scifi world. 

BSG serves as an excellent enabler to look for and find relevancy in our own human epoch. In books, essays, classrooms, and even the UN - BSG is being used as a tool to explore the hard questions of policy, war, terror, victims, human rights, power, security, economics, and the roll of popular culture and world politics. 

I do not know if Ron Moore and David Eick intended BSG to become even a small tool in the human dialectic. They did produce an excellent piece of entertainment. Yet, all the artists and artisans in front of and behind the camera gave us so much more. 

December 8th of this year will mark the 10th anniversary of the airing of the re-imagined series. It will also mark the 35th anniversary of Glen Larson’s original that set the stage.

I look forward to reading this book as BSG is a comfortable gateway into exploring uncomfortable areas of human behavior. 

I think it is time to commit to the 84 hours of BSG as an entertainment and as an allegory to the conditions and responses we have made since 9/11.

Any thoughts?

This December I am looking to do a pod-cast review of the full BSG on the 10 anniversary of the miniseries.  Will need 4 others (to form the “final five”) for the project.  Everything is in the conceptual stage at this point - but would I like to do this.

“So say we all”

• 4 posts
    May 9, 2013 5:27 PM EDT
    Thanks DL!
    • 8 posts
    May 13, 2013 9:15 PM EDT
    I Agree,there Are Many Parallels Between BSG And The real World; As I see It,Though, Sci-Fi Is A Type of Fiction We Use To Inspire Us To Deal with Problems That Often Mirror The ones In real Life. That's The Value BSG And Trek Both Bring.
    • 35 posts
    June 12, 2013 4:47 PM EDT
    My pleasure Wes!!